Media Relations Specialist
|Salary Range:||Grade 22|
|Benefits:||An excellent benefit package is offered|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Description:||The Media Relations Specialist will help lead several short-term and ongoing campaigns for advocacy and constituent engagement to provide LIRS with a window of opportunity to dramatically raise its profile as a thought leader in the mass media spotlight, in policy-making circles, and in the public eye. Through research, outreach, writing, data processing, and follow-up, the Media Relations Specialist provides critically needed support for the Assistant Director for Media Relations in systematically seizing those opportunities. This is a part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week).|
- Multiply effect of LIRS short-term and ongoing campaigns for advocacy and constituent engagement by researching and contributing to the writing and placement of op-eds and citations in the mass media.
- Develop LIRS capacity for media relations through creation of carefully targeted lists of editors and reporters in swing districts, and support for Assistant Director in cultivating those relationships.
- Develop LIRS capacity to deliver powerful messages through Web presence by contributing to writing/production of social media, on-site content, press releases, etc.
- Engagement in ongoing professional development.
- Engagement in agency-wide activities and initiatives including all-staff meetings, working groups or task forces and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Deep commitment to LIRS's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners
BA is essential. Not necessarily in communications-related field, but one in which diligent research, clear writing, and a high level of personal organization are required.
Track record of 1-4 years of successfully executing projects that demand self-discipline and a high degree of self-supervision.
Hands-on experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, and skilled use of common Web research tools.
Demonstrated on-the-job experience in research and writing for the media/social media, preferred
Command of grassroots/grasstops organizing and an understanding of how campaigning and media relations mutually reinforce one another, preferred.
Experience with and commitment to working in a very diverse workforce
Appreciation and respect for Lutheran beliefs and values, church member motivations and sensitivities
Ability to work independently and in concert with team members
Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
Commitment to timely achievement of deliverables and outcomes
Excellent written and oral communication skills
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.