Advocacy Intern (Unpaid)
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The Advocacy Intern will promote just and humane treatment of refugees and migrants by assisting in the daily activities of LIRS's Advocacy Office. In 2013 LIRS will advocate on protecting immigrants detained by the federal government, children and families affected by the broken immigration system, and refugees resettled to the United States and empower refugees, migrants and constituents to join us in advocacy. |
The position will remain open until filled but priority will be given to applications received by July 1.
Salary and Terms: The advocacy intern will be based at LIRS's Advocacy Office in Washington, D.C. To be eligible, students must be receiving academic credit from an accredited college/university OR be receiving funding through public interest grant funds or other similar resource. The internship will start on September 3 and end on December 20 though the dates are negotiable.
Attend meetings on legislation, policy and constituent engagement, and report back to the office.
Engage LIRS networks and constituencies in advocacy efforts via LIRS Stand for Welcome campaign, blog, etc.
Research, analyze and track legislation.
Draft memos, resources, and other written materials.
Assist with planning for LIRS advocacy events.
Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
1. Commitment to LIRS's core mission and values and an ability to model those values in relationship with colleagues and partners
2. Commitment to refugees and migrants
3. Prior experience working with the refugee or immigrant community
4. Prior advocacy experience
5. Ability to multitask and work independently
7. Strong writing and analytical skills
8. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.