Internal Communications Manager
|April 04, 2015 - May 30, 2015|
|Benefits:||An excellent benefit package is offered.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with a 75-year history, a budget of approximately $58 million per year, and over 100 staff. For several decades the organization has received the vast majority of its funding from the federal government and has developed a widely-recognized expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
Reporting to the Director for Communications, the Internal Communications Manager will assist with developing and implementing an internal communication strategy that is aligned with business and operational strategies to inform, motivate and connect LIRS employees. The role also involves working closely with leadership team, Human Resources and Knowledge Management to provide trusted and credible communication. The incumbent will provide support with building tactical internal communications process that showcases LIRS's unique culture.
- Develop innovative communications and messaging that inform and strengthen the employee community across departments, units and functions as well as fulfilling the network backbone role LIRS plays in the larger network of partners.
- In close collaboration with a range of stakeholders, develop strategies, objectives and plans for both internal communications and communications with LIRS partner agencies, including goals related to engagement, information sharing, etc.
- Draft and edit memos, newsletters, updates, Intranet content, and other materials. Serve as lead unit editor to ensure consistency and that they reflect strategies, standards.
- Stay informed and aware of organizational operations and initiatives, and identify areas in which additional internal communication is needed. Serve as point of contact for suggestions from other staff, including new Intranet content, memos, and other communication tools. Collaborate with stakeholders to develop a plan to meet these needs.
- Establish a role as a trusted and strategic counselor within the organization to monitor existing and new communication streams, assess communication needs and develop appropriate solutions.
- Regularly solicit feedback and input on internal communications and recommend new systems and communication tools to improve the quality, consistency, and timeliness of information.
- Monitor and measure the impact of communication programs and initiatives.
- Provide expert internal communications counsel to diverse groups and senior leaders within the organization.
- Support crisis communications in coordination with the Leadership Team and Crisis Response Manager.
- Special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Journalism or Communications or related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- At least four years of business communications experience, focused on non-profit or internal communications.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team; ability to cross-collaborate across organization.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Superior organizational skills with high attention to detail and ability/desire to multi task.
- Demonstrated experience with both strategic development and tactical implementation.
- Experience developing creative, effective approaches to difficult communications challenges.
- Experience with technology and its application to internal communications.
- Flexible and adaptable thinker, open-minded problem-solver with an ability to produce results despite changing or ambiguous circumstances, adaptive and willing to take on a variety of new assignments.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, Access and other Microsoft Suite software is essential.
- Preferred: experience in creating content for and utilizing a content management system (CMS), such as WordPress.
- Appreciation and respect for a faith based organization, Lutheran beliefs and values, and sensitivities.
- Commitment to LIRS's core mission and values and an ability to model those values in relationship with colleagues and partners; commitment to empowering refugees and migrants.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.