|Benefits:||An excellent benefit package is offered.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with a 75-year history, a budget of approximately $58 million per year, and over 100 headquarters staff. For several decades the organization has received the vast majority of its funding from the federal government and has developed a widely-recognized expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
Reporting to the Vice President for Development, Outreach and Communications, the Events Manager will be responsible for the management and coordination of all LIRS events, ensuring that these events meet the strategic goals of the organization. S/he will develop and conceptualize themes, research requests, assess feasibility, and make recommendations to ensure the implementation of successful, targeted events.
In coordination with the Vice President, s/he manages large-scale events. This includes researching vendors and pricing structures; ensuring that project expenses and the qualitative goals of events are met; determining staffing, space, and equipment needs; and conducting post-event evaluations and recommending future improvements. This position involves frequent interaction with all LIRS departments, partners, donors, vendors, and volunteers.
- Responsible for logistical planning and coordination for all LIRS events, including webinars and teleconferences. Effectively arrange ground and air transportation, food and beverage, signage and decorating, production and staging, hotel accommodations, agenda coordination and venue logistics.
- Monitors LIRS events and PR budgets, including providing preliminary cost projections and post-event reporting of actuals. Monitors expenses throughout planning and execution to ensure that events are cost-effective. Makes recommendations to achieve cost-savings, where applicable.
- Coordinates event appearances of speakers, entertainers and facilitators, including logistical arrangements as needed for executives, speakers and/or facilitators.
- Coordinates internal and external communications, pertaining to all events and LIRS public presentations with appropriate colleagues. Ensures that attendees and participating executives receive relevant and timely information.
- Maintains shipping to and from the event site: collateral, banners, publications, mementos and giveaway items. Manages event inventory during planning and on-site.
- Creates detailed event specification guides, agendas and other attendee/planner communications; documents established processes and guidelines; and creates templates to increase effective events management processes.
- Manages attendee data for meetings and events by building online registration forms, survey forms, or other planner/attendee tools as needed to capture and manage attendee data.
- Researches new hotel and vendor alternatives as appropriate, including preparing comparison data to assist in decision-making. Coordinates vendor proposals and assist with negotiations to ensure the best concessions and pricing along with contract compliance with LIRS standards.
- Keeps abreast of event industry developments.
- In collaboration with the Business Manager, negotiate preferred rates at Baltimore area hotels, car rental agencies and with other vendors.
- Oversees event management account including managing relationship with vendors; setting up of backend processes such as payment processing with a third party vendor; and providing coaching to and reporting to LIRS staff who are using CVent to manage an event.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field plus minimum of five years of experience in non-profit events industry; management of large-scale events a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; knowledge of Microsoft Project and Visio preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills with high attention to details and ability/desire to multitask.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment and proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adjust work priorities and flows in dynamic work environment.
- Proactive approach and demonstrated ability to work independently, establish priorities and exercise sound judgment in response to situations that are highly complex, sensitive and confidential.
- Expectation of working some nights and weekends
- Experience working with various levels of hierarchical entities and an understanding of political atmospheres.
- Commitment to LIRS's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Ability and willingness to travel overnight up to 25% of time.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a very diverse workforce.
To be considered, please submit resume and cover letter.
LIRS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMPLIES WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL EMPLOYMENT LAWS.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.