Refugee Advocacy Officer
|November 27, 2017 - December 08, 2017|
|Location:||Washington , DC|
|Benefits:||An excellent benefit package is offered.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||If you are passionate about transforming communities with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you! |
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is seeking a Refugee Advocacy Officer who will carry out LIRS\\\'s advocacy efforts in collaboration with the Director for Advocacy and other LIRS staff to ensure the organization achieves its overall objectives in key priority areas with an emphasis on our work around refugee resettlement. S/He will shape and execute advocacy priorities and policy recommendations and will support LIRS partners and networks in advocacy through direct working relationships, participation in advocacy planning and events, and grass-tops and grass-roots engagement and mobilization.
• Advocacy and Mobilization:
o Spearhead the organization\\\'s advocacy strategy and message on refugee policy
o Support and advance LIRS\\\'s policy objectives, including implementation of the strategic advocacy and engagement plan, crafting and disseminating policy driven messages and briefings;
o Influence federal, state, and local policy outcomes while coordinating stakeholder cultivation, outreach, and engagement.
• Campaign coordination:
o Develop and implement issue-driven campaigns, track policy, and regulatory actions,
o Develop relevant public policy materials, and network with external players in both the USG and NGO community.
• Project management:
o Provide project management, communications, and policy support to the Advocacy Department, and other functions around priority initiatives and events as determined by the Director for Advocacy.
• Data Analysis and Communications Dissemination:
o Develop a systematic information gathering and dissemination methodology so that LIRS\\\'s assets, functions, and strategic partners have access to timely information regarding the latest legislative, policy, and regulatory developments, and work with LIRS staff to provide website content.
o Demonstrate leadership internally and externally by forming issue coalitions, designing and executing campaigns, and driving policy change within the federal and local governments.
|Qualifications:||• Bachelor\\\'s degree with a minimum combined 4-6 years of experience in a relevant field such as international relations, public policy, or social work. Advanced Degree Preferred. Appropriations experience preferred.|
• A minimum of three years of increasing responsibility in advancing a public policy agenda in a nonprofit environment or equivalent experience.
• Ability to maintain and nurture collegial relationships with Members of Congress, LIRS and congressional staff, executive branch officials, coalition partners, Lutheran partners, refugees and migrants and other stakeholders.
• A strong understanding or willingness to learn the refugee resettlement system, international and domestic laws relevant to refugees and related funding vehicles.
• Knowledge of federal legislative and regulatory processes, including the ability to track and interpret legislation.
• Strong understanding of the role of administrative departments and their pressure points.
• Demonstrated skills in synthesizing and communicating complex policy issues for different audiences.
• Excellent communication skills, especially writing and public speaking.
• Familiarity with non-profit advocacy work and experience working with coalitions.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Effective leadership and meeting facilitation skills.
• Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
• Deep commitment to LIRS\\\'s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter by close of business on Friday, December 8, 2017, via http://lirs.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-763149.html. For more information about LIRS, please visit www.lirs.org.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.