|June 11, 2018 - June 22, 2018|
|Benefits:||An excellent benefits package is offered. |
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
If you are passionate about transforming communities for migrants and refugees with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you!
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is seeking a Loans Counselor who will provide support with refugee travel loans. As the first point of contact for the refugee loan client, the Loans Counselor will provide exceptional customer service that delivers on LIRS's core value of Welcome. This role, while under direct supervision, calls for independent judgment, and problem-solving to resolve client questions and issues/concerns. The Loans Counselor will provide the client with education on basic credit information and coaching on financial best practices while accurately documenting accounts in accordance with the guidelines of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Fair Debt Credit Reporting Act (FDCRA).
|Duties:||• Respond to telephone, email and mail inquiries, process payments, and answer questions while adhering to the highest level of customer service.|
• Providing timely responses and high-quality information, demonstrating a consistent commitment to problem-solving, and exhibiting respectful behavior.
• In accordance with IOM policies, negotiate new payment agreements as necessary and generate letters of deferment and/or reduction explaining new loan terms.
• Assist refugees in researching and resolving missing payments and other loans-related problems.
• Ensure accurate documentation of all client communication within the loan system including case notes, correspondence, and changes in loan terms, etc.
• Ensure that all activities are within the guidelines of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Fair Debt Credit Reporting Act (FDCRA).
• Provide ongoing counseling to refugees, affiliates, and co-sponsors.
• Provide information about U.S. financial and credit systems, including the need to establish a good credit history.
• Maintain current addresses for clients, including employing skip tracing techniques, updating database, and research.
• Analyze, reconcile and maintain control of assigned delinquent loans, providing proper communication as necessary.
|Qualifications:||• High School Diploma or equivalent with some college preferred and a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant experience.|
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to read, write and speak English fluently with clear pronunciation.
• Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills, with the ability to find viable solutions for our clients.
• Ability to fairly and impartially apply the requirements of LIRS and IOM, while communicating empathy for the situations of the clients.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Pleasant, considerate, and responsive telephone presence.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Bilingual/Multilingual ability to communicate at a native level of fluency is plus. The languages of Arabic are preferred.
• Deep commitment to LIRS's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
Headquartered in Baltimore's beautiful Inner Harbor, with offices in Washington, DC, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with a 77-year history, a budget of approximately $70 million per year, and over 100 headquarters staff.
LIRS is widely-recognized for its expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter by Friday, June 22, 2018 via http://lirs.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-769143.html. For more information about LIRS, please visit www.lirs.org.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.