Children's Services Intern
|October 08, 2018 - November 16, 2018|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
If you are passionate about transforming communities with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you!
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS), is seeking a Children's Service Intern which is a unique, dual-agency (Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services and a designated partner organization) hybrid internship position that allows a graduate-level intern to promote just and humane treatment of young refugees and migrants by applying a MACRO human service administration theory and practice, at LIRS, as well as gain valuable direct service experiences at a partner organization, working in direct service with refugee and migrant youth. The intern will support daily activities of Program Managers and will gain experience in changing larger systems, connecting with communities and organizations, planning, program development, policy analysis and the effects on direct programming for children. They will obtain knowledge that impact unaccompanied migrants and refugees affected by the broken immigration system.
This is an unpaid internship. To be eligible, students must be receiving academic credit from an accredited college/university OR be receiving funding through public interest grant funds or another similar resource.
|Duties:||• Conduct research and analyze data; identify services gaps; examine risk factors and outcomes trends.|
• Develop and implement surveys for various program improvement opportunities such as Client Satisfaction
• Draft memos, reports, data analysis, and trend reports, resources, and other written materials.
• Track and interpret policies and procedures, including changes to policies in implementation
• Attend meetings or trainings on child welfare, immigration, humanitarian protection, family reunification, foster care, and volunteerism and report back to the office.
• Engage LIRS networks and constituencies in systemic change efforts
• Engage in national Network Calls (e.g. Foster Care, Family Reunification, Safe Release Support etc.)
• Attend local community events and conferences in Maryland that are relevant to the internship
• Shadow Bethany Maryland Clinicians and Case Managers who serve migrant youth in foster care and adoption programs
• Conduct home visits, referrals, and other case management services for UC children and families.
• Make and coordinate referrals when necessary to community services.
• Conduct interviews, screenings, assessments, home visits, post-placement support/reports and home studies as needed.
• Complete paperwork within appropriate time frames.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||• Undergraduate or Graduate students enrolled in a program at an accredited school in the areas of Social Work, Non-Profit Management, Education, etc.. Second-year students preferred.|
• Prior experience working with the refugee or immigrant community preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish required.
• Ability to multitask and work independently.
• Strong writing and analytical skills.
• Commitment to the core mission and values of the agencies, and an ability to model those values in relationship with colleagues and partners.
• Commitment to refugees and migrants.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
Headquartered in Baltimore's beautiful Inner Harbor, with offices in Washington, DC, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with a 79-year history, a budget of $58 million per year, and approximately 90 headquarters staff.
LIRS is widely-recognized for its expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
To be considered, please submit resume and cover letter by COB on Friday, November 16, 2018 via http://lirs.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-772225.html. For more information about LIRS, please visit www.lirs.org.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.