|October 09, 2019 - November 30, 2019|
|Benefits:||Excellent Benefit Package Offered|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
If you are passionate about transforming communities with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you!
Baltimore-based Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is looking for an experienced, energetic and creative communications manager to join a busy communications team as its Press Secretary. LIRS is looking for a highly-motivated leader who can create and shape stories in the immigration and refugee space - arguably the most important domestic issue facing the nation. We're looking for someone who thrives on the fast-paced world of media outreach and is tenacious about pitching and landing stories.
Responsibilities involve working closely with the president & CEO and Director for Communications and Marketing to create and execute strategic media relations campaigns supporting our key programs, awareness campaigns, advocacy platforms and branding related to refugee resettlement and family separation. Must be flexible; evening and weekend hours and occasional travel required.
• Promote the public mission and advocacy efforts of the largest immigration organization in the country Develop and implement a strategic media plan to reach and stretch LIRS' media relations goals
• Cultivate personal relationships with journalists through one-on-one meetings, briefings, and regular phone and email communications to help grow LIRS' media presence and brand awareness
• Acts as key strategic advisor to president & CEO on all media opportunities, including positioning and preparing the CEO for interviews and other press engagements
• Develop creative strategies for communicating with journalists in addition to and beyond traditional news releases
• Acts as chief spokesperson and contact for all media outreach
• Coordinate interviews, develop quotes, and provide journalists with timely and accurate information
• Help craft and place op-eds and develop a long-term strategy for increasing our op-ed output and success rate
• Coordinate industry reputational efforts, including earned and paid media strategies
• Proactively pitch news stories of LIRS' work, programs and events; produce press releases and other materials to engage media
• Coordinate media interviews and statements articulating the LIRS' position on legislative and regulatory matters, as well as immigration-related products and programs, including research reports
• Oversee and track a large volume of media inquiries immigration and refugee trends and pending regulatory and legislative issues impacting the industry, and coordinates rapid response on breaking news
• Manage promotion and media relations for LIRS media events
• Develop OP/Ed materials and work for placement in collaboration with the Leadership Team
• Help lead the Communications team to accomplish advocacy goals
• Assist the Vice President of External Affairs and Director of Marketing Communications and Director of Advocacy to accomplish departmental goals with the execution of media relations campaigns
• Manages media training for board members, staff, and external stakeholders in order to prep them for media opportunities
• A deep comfort using social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and familiarity (or a willingness to learn) relevant PR and media monitoring software.
• Other duties as assigned
• Manage and implement other projects as identified by other members of the leadership team
• Work on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote department's success.
• BA or BS with emphasis on language and journalism or relevant work experience
• Demonstrated experience in communication and media outreach
• Excellent writer and editor, adept at writing for a variety of audiences via numerous platforms
• Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business
• Broad fundamental communications and media relations knowledge
• Agency, news media or political campaign experience
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Strong organizational and considerable people management skills
• Demonstrative abilities in collaborative team building and consensus
• Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
• Team player, able to work across all departments
• Existing media relationships in national and key DMA's highly desired
• Ability to cope with a fast-paced work environment and juggle multiple priorities, separating mission critical from the non-strategic with minimal supervision
• At ease with a fluid environment; persistent and tenacious
• Strong character and high integrity
• Ability to learn other software programs, and enter and maintain accurate data/information
• Knowledge of immigration and refugee issues a bonus
Headquartered in Baltimore's beautiful Inner Harbor, with offices in Washington, DC, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with an 80-year history, a budget of $45 million per year, and approximately 80 headquarters staff.
LIRS is widely-recognized for its expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.