Children and Family Services Intern
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
If you are passionate about transforming communities for migrants and refugees with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you!
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS), is seeking an Intern to work in the Children and Family Services Division. The Children and Family Services Intern will promote just and humane treatment of young refugees and migrants by applying a MACRO human service administration theory and practice (e.g. Social Work, Public Health, Non-Profit Management, International Studies, Social Design, Sociology, etc.). The intern will support daily activities of the unit such as changing larger systems, connecting with communities and organizations, planning, program development, policy analysis, legislative advocacy, program evaluation, and community education that impact unaccompanied migrants and refugees affected by the broken immigration system.
This is an unpaid internship. To be eligible, students must be enrolled at an accredited college/university and the school must sign an agreement with LIRS. Interns are expected to work 5-16 hours per week.
|Duties:||• Conduct research and analyze data; identify services gaps; examine risk factors and outcomes trends.|
• Develop and implement surveys for various program improvement opportunities such as Client Satisfaction and Key Stakeholder feedback.
• Draft memos, reports, data analysis and trend reports, resources, and other written materials.
• Track and interpret policies and procedures, including changes to policies in implementation
• Attend meetings or trainings on child welfare, immigration, humanitarian protection, family reunification, foster care, and volunteerism and report back to the office.
• Engage LIRS networks and constituencies in systemic change efforts via LIRS Children's Services Network Calls (e.g. Foster Care Recruitment, Family Reunification, Safe Release Support etc.) blog, etc.
• Organize logistics for events
• Shadow employees and brainstorm program development opportunities with the team
• Assist with Program Evaluation and training.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||• Undergraduate or Graduate students enrolled in a program at an accredited school (e.g. Social Work, Law, Policy, etc.): second year students preferred. |
• Prior experience working with the refugee or immigrant community preferred.
• Prior Macro Human Services Administration experience.
• Ability to multitask and work independently.
• Strong writing and analytical skills.
• Commitment to LIRS's core mission and values and an ability to model those values in relationship with colleagues and partners.
• Commitment to refugees and migrants.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
This internship will provide students the opportunity to learn community analysis; needs, assets and resources assessment; outreach and recruitment; action research; data interpretation, strategic analysis; program design and implementation; leadership development; collective action for large systems change; bargaining and negotiating; conflict resolution; public speaking; and nonprofit administration.
Headquartered in Baltimore\'s beautiful Inner Harbor, with offices in Washington, DC, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with an 80-year history, a budget of $45 million per year, and approximately 80 headquarters staff.
LIRS is widely-recognized for its expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.