Advocacy Intern (Summer)
|February 20, 2019 - April 18, 2019|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
If you are passionate about transforming communities for migrants and refugees with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you!
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS), is seeking an Advocacy Intern who will promote just and humane treatment of refugees and migrants by assisting in the daily activities of LIRS's Advocacy Office in Washington, DC. You will have daily opportunities to advocate on behalf of refugees and migrants through our work with the Executive and Legislative branches of the U.S government. From protecting children and families affected by the broken immigration system to educating members of Congress and their staff about the positive contributions of refugees to our country you will have the opportunity to help shape the national conversation around immigrants and refugees.
This is an unpaid internship. To be eligible, students must be enrolled at an accredited college/university OR be receiving funding through public interest grant funds or other similar resource. This internship is offered in the Fall, Spring, and Summer. Interns are expected to work 14-40 hours per week, depending on the semester. Interns are responsible for arranging their own housing and for covering related expenses during the duration of the program.
|Duties:||• Monitor federal and state legislative and regulatory developments affecting immigration and refugee policy;|
• Attend hearings, meetings, and events on legislation, policy, and constituent engagement, and report back to the office;
• Engage LIRS networks and constituencies through online advocacy efforts (i.e. blogs, calls to action);
• Update and helping develop content for the Advocacy section of the website.
• Draft memos, resources, and other written materials;
• Assist with planning for LIRS advocacy events;
• Help prepare PowerPoint presentations and other advocacy-related resources; and
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
|Qualifications:||• Prior experience working with and a strong commitment to the refugee or immigrant community preferred, but not necessary;|
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Excel;
• Prior advocacy experience;
• Ability to multitask and work independently;
• Ability to engage constituents professionally;
• Strong writing and analytical skills and experience in internet research;
• Sense of humor appreciated; and
• Commitment to LIRS's core mission and values and an ability to model those values in relationship with colleagues and partners.
Headquartered in Baltimore's beautiful Inner Harbor, with offices in Washington, DC, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with a 77-year history, a budget of $58 million per year, and approximately 90 headquarters staff. LIRS offers a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
LIRS is widely-recognized for its expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter by COB Tuesday, April 30, 2019 via http://lirs.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-774129.html. For more information about LIRS, please visit www.lirs.org.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.