|March 07, 2019 - March 21, 2019|
|Benefits:||Excellent Benefits Package|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||LIRS is excited to announce an opportunity for an experienced, energetic and creative leader who can create and shape stories in the immigration and refugee space - arguably the most important domestic issue at the moment - and help further the mission.|
Responsibilities include working with the President & CEO, VP of External Affairs and Director for Marketing and Communications to create and execute strategic media relations campaigns in support of LIRS's key programs, awareness campaigns, advocacy platforms and branding.
|Duties:||• Develop and implement a strategic media plan to reach and stretch LIRS' media relations goals|
• Cultivate personal relationships with journalists through one-on-one meetings, briefings, and regular phone and email communications to help grow LIRS' media presence and brand awareness
• Acts as key strategic advisor to President & CEO on all media opportunities, including positioning and preparation of the CEO for interviews and other press engagements
• Develop creative strategies for communicating with journalists in addition to and beyond traditional news releases
• Acts as Chief Spokesperson and contact for all media outreach
• Help craft and place op-eds and develop a long-term strategy for increasing our op-ed output and success rate
• Coordinate industry reputational efforts, including earned and paid media strategies
• Pitch news stories of LIRS work, programs and events; produces press releases and other materials to engage media
• Coordinate media interviews and statements articulating the Organization's position on legislative and regulatory matters, as well as immigration-related products and programs, including research reports
• Oversee and track a large volume of media inquiries immigration and refugee trends and pending regulatory and legislative issues impacting the industry, and coordinates rapid response on breaking news
• Manage promotion and media relations for Organization media events
• Help lead the Communications team to accomplish Organization and Advocacy goals
• Assist the Vice President of External Affairs and Director for Marketing Communications and Director of Advocacy to accomplish departmental goals with the execution of media relations campaigns
• Acts as point person in determining and achieving metrics related to the reputation of the industry and Organization
• Monitor trends to keep informed of developments in the fields of media relations.
• Manages media training for board members, staff, and external stakeholders in order to prep them for media opportunities
|Qualifications:||• BA or BS with emphasis on language and journalism or equivalent relevant work experience|
• 5+ years' experience in communications, media relations or journalism, communications or marketing
• Excellent skills in writing and editing for a variety of audiences via numerous platforms, including writing for online and mobile. Knowledge of Chicago Style preferred.
• Previous experience in a non-profit organization highly preferred
• Knowledge of and experience with media software such as Vocus or Meltwater and social media channels including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
• Existing media relationships in national and key DMA's
• PR Agency, news media or political campaign experience preferred
• Broad fundamental communications and media relations knowledge
• Knowledge of immigration and refugee world desired
• Significant communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner
• Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently; a self-initiator, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility
• Must be able to cope within a fast-paced work environment; perseveres with tenacity
• Must be able to manage multiple projects; separating mission critical from the non-strategic with minimal supervision
• Ability to accept change and be flexible; focusing on action and outcomes
• Must be able to act with character and integrity consistent with LIRS values
Headquartered in Baltimore's beautiful Inner Harbor, with offices in Washington, DC, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is a national faith-based organization with an 80 year history and a budget of approximately $50 million per year.
LIRS is widely-recognized for its expertise in implementing federal programs on behalf of refugees and migrants living within the borders of the United States. Working with and through partners across the country, LIRS resettles refugees, reunites children with their families or provides loving homes for them, conducts policy advocacy, and pursues humanitarian alternatives to the immigration detention system.
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter by COB on Thursday, March 21, 2018. For more information about LIRS, please visit www.lirs.org.
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service provides equal employment opportunities to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.